Los Angeles is one of the biggest cities in the world. With a population of approximately 10 million, the city is filled with people from all walks of life. However, many of them do not know the Lord Jesus Christ and the offer of eternal salvation that is found in His name through the gospel. Many of them are not plugged into a church that is dedicated to caring for their spiritual welfare and guiding them with Scripture's life changing principles.
That is the inspiration that led to the birth of Grace City LA. Founded in the summer of 2017 by pastor and evangelist Steve Cha, Grace City LA is a Bible teaching, gospel-centered, and evangelistically driven ministry which exists to effectively make disciples of a new generation of people in Los Angeles.
Click here to read an in-depth interview on TogetherLA.
WHAT MAKES US UNIQUE?
With so many churches in Los Angeles, the question that comes to mind is:
Which one should I choose?
We live in a time when everyone wants to be innovative and groundbreaking. It is no different with contemporary churches. New church plants have ambitious or attractive goals such as "transforming the city," "being a radical church," "helping people find their life's joy and purpose," "being culturally relevant," or being "cool." We do not claim to be groundbreaking, innovative, or to offer something flashier or more entertaining than other church.
Our aim is simply this: To do church as the Lord intended by being faithful to the instructions of Scripture. It's the basic, good old fashioned philosophy, which arises out of our conviction that the Bible is true, relevant for today, living and active. We believe there is divine power when the church teaches and lives out its commands.
1. Based in Scripture: Because God's word is inerrant, it teaches us to trust in everything that God says concerning salvation, godly living, and all historical, prophetic, and geographical references in the Bible (2 Timothy 3:16).
2. Grounded in grace: Because salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone, we have our reason for rejoicing, coming before God with confidence in worship, and extending grace to others (Ephesians 2:8-9)
3. Burdened for the city: Because Jesus commanded us to reach the lost in evangelism, we have our mission as it relates to our activities with the unchurched, which is to bring them to saving faith in Jesus Christ (Luke 19:10).
4. Passionate about community: Because those in the church are our spiritual brothers and sisters in Christ, we gather to exhort, care for, and support one another in grace and in truth (John 17:23).
5. Devoted to Prayer: Because Christ modeled prayer for us, we pray personally and communally to exercise our faith in God, conform our will to His, and see Him move in our lives, in the church, and in the city (1 Thessalonians 5:17).
To make a new generation of disciples in Downtown Los Angeles by living out our three-fold focus of worshipping Christ, equipping the church, and reaching the city with the gospel.
We exist to give honor and glory to God through corporate praise, loving fellowship, and words and deeds that reflect worship of God in spirit and in truth. We understand worship as the purpose for our existence. Therefore, we strive to have this attitude behind everything we do: Singing, giving, fellowship, learning, and our deeds toward one another.
We exist to build up believers in the church through strong discipleship of teaching and modeling, which leads to maturity of character and service in the church. This is done through a compilation of: Our expository preaching ministry on Sundays, our commitment to strong doctrine and inerrancy of Scripture, our community groups on weekdays, and personal discipleship through mentors who coach and model the faith. We produce disciples of Christ who, in turn, become disciplemakers themselves.
Sending out disciples into the city to reach out to unbelievers with the gospel in the city through weekly evangelism with the hopes of bringing them into saving relationship with Jesus Christ and being plugged into the church for discipleship. We trust in the power of the gospel to bring about eternal salvation and transformation in people's lives.
To reach to 2,000 people in the city with the gospel, to create 200 new disciples, and to raise up 5 discipling ministers by summer 2023. In other words, our vision is to be a healthy, multiplying church that will grow by reaching many people in the city with the gospel, maturing believers in the church through discipleship, and sending them out into the world to be disciplers who will replicate our values, mission, and vision.